- Applicant must be 21 years of age or older and have consent of all members of the household to foster and/or adopt
- Must be willing to allow a home inspection from a GSR representative
- Reside in the Chicagoland area
- If the applicant rents, they agree to allow GSR to contact their landlord and will need to provide proof of permission to have a German Shepherd
Adoption fees include spay/neuter, age appropriate vaccines, heartworm/ fecal testing and microchip. The adopter will also be provided a leash, collar, name tag, and bag of food if needed.
Under 1 year – $400
1 – 5 years – $350
6 – 7 years – $250
8+ – $200
* special adoption fees are available for bonded pairs. Seniors (65+) can adopt a senior GSD for $150. GSR is a partner of Pets for Patriots, which works with veterans to assist in adopting overlooked/special needs dogs. For more information on eligibility, please visit www.petsforpatriots.org
Fostering is what makes it possible for GSR to save our favorite breed! When we pull a dog from a shelter, we place them in a foster home until they are adopted. This allows the dog to decompress and the foster family to evaluate their personality. It can be difficult to get a true read on a dogs personality in the shelter environment, especially a German Shepherd. Some foster homes specialize in behavioral or medical cases, and some are just looking to help out on occasion.
GSR supplies a leash, collar, name tag, food, crate and covers all medical care during the foster period. We also work with several dog trainers throughout the Chicagoland area if a dog is facing some challenges adjusting in their foster home.
In order to foster for GSR, you must be in the Chicagoland area and willing to travel to one of our veterinary partners in Deerfield, Elgin, Sycamore, Libertyville, Hanover Park, Glencoe, or Naperville.